West Midlands Police Force hit harder than low crime Surrey

In:

Steve McCabe met with Chief Constable Chris Sims yesterday (Friday17th December) to discuss the impact of the cuts on local policing. The Tory-Lib Dem Government is cutting 20% from police budgets in real terms over the next 4 years.

 

Following the meeting Steve McCabe MP said:

 

"Chief Constable Sims confirmed that the West Midlands Police has received the second worst settlement in the country. He is resigned to losing 1000 staff by next April including some of his most experienced officers - the Head of Crime, Head of Local Policing and a LPU Commander."
 
Steve added:
 
"The least hard hit force will be Surrey. As a result of the unfair financial settlement the West Midlands Police Authority have approved implementation of Regulation A19 – which will mean 270 of West Midlands most experienced Police officers will go by March.
 
“This is a bitter blow for the West Midlands Police and the people they serve. Residents of Birmingham and the West Midlands will be absolutely stunned that their police service is being hit harder than low-crime Surrey. So much for we’re all in this together.
 
“As a result of these cuts there will be fewer bobbies on the beat and their ability to prevent crime, solve cases and protect the public will be diminished.”
  
“The West Midlands is a high need area with big challenges for the police and communities alike, and it is being treated less favourably than low-crime Surrey. These cuts risk rising crime, despite the best efforts of the Police service.
 
“The Birmingham Labour MPs met with the Police Minister, Nick Herbert, last week to ask for a fair deal for the West Midlands and yet the announcement is worse than feared, with bigger cuts in 2012-2013 than anyone expected. This settlement is completely unfair and unjust, we will continue to pressure the Government to think again”
 
Further information about the settlement is below:
 
  • The headline figure for all police authorities is a reduction in funding in 2011/12 of 5.1% and a further reduction in funding in 2012/13 of 6.7%.
  •  

  • This approach further disadvantages WMPA because government grant represents 87% of the total WMPA funding, with council tax making up the remaining 13%.  In effect, 87% of WMPA total funding is reducing by 5.1%, equivalent to a reduction in overall resources of 4.1%.  This is in stark contrast to an authority with a lower proportion of government grant within their overall funding.
  •  

  • The reduction in overall funding for Surrey is just 1.5%, compared to 4.1% for West Midlands due to gearing.
  •  

  • Formula damping in 2011/12 lost West Midlands £27m, whereas Surrey gained £4m.
Share this
Copyright Steve McCabe MP Click here for a copy of this site's terms and conditions and privacy statement